400g cooked black beans
100g mature cheddar
1 medium onion, finely chopped
Small handful of thyme, chopped
2 tbsp Wahaca Chile de Arbol sauce
Egg wash (1 egg mixed with a splash of milk)
500g block of puff pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6.
2. In a frying pan, sweat the onions until soft and translucent, set aside and leave to cool.
3. In a bowl, mix the grated cheese, black beans, cooled onions, chile de arbol sauce and thyme and mash so that the black beans roughly bind everything together
4. Roll the pastry until about five mm thick. Cut into 8 equal squares.
5. In each square put one to two generous tbs of the black bean mixture in the middle of each square.
6. Brush some egg wash around the filling, then fold a corner of the pastry over to the opposite corner to make a triangle. Press the edges together with a fork.
7. Brush the parcels with the remaining egg wash and prick with the fork once or twice to create air holes. Bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
Tip: Empanadas are a great snack for a picnic and are just as tasty cold as they straight out of the oven.